Several similar questions have come up this week during my Coverings seminars and I plan to address them in a separate post.
[Click on this link for the #MProfsPRO Twitter chat transcript for the event.]
Special thanks to my friends at MarketingProfs - Kathy Bushman, Anne Schweitzer and Valerie Witt - for their expert guidance.
If you missed the presentation you can still experience it via the seminar recording of Managing Your Reputation in a Social World. Be sure to listen through to the end since the Q&A session conversation was lively.
I consider the topic of reputation management fascinating - not to mention hugely relevant - and thought I would recap here the links that I shared in my presentation.
Managing Your Reputation in a Social World - ReferencesI referred several times to the Socialnomics Social Media Revolution Refresh video. It's packed with good data and perspective, not least of which is a reference to Dale Carnegie who, as far back as 1936 with his bestseller How To Win Friends and Influence People, urged us to "listen first, sell second."
The benefits of participating in social media:
- Charlene Li and the Altimeter group study: Deep brand engagement correlates to financial performance
- Check out the Real-time marketing and PR webinar by the wonderful David Meerman Scott.
- From eMarketer 121016: Social Media Increases Small Business Exposure
- I love these charts from Hubspot: Study Shows Small Businesses That Blog Get 55% More Website Visitors.
About conflict in the marketplace:
- Retail Experience Issues and Paco Underhill
- Financial Marketers: Get In Touch With Your Feminine Side - Wells Fargo research
- Don't miss The Break Up. I'm amazed that this was released in 2007 and yet remains so relevant.
- Digital Visibility: The Reason Behind Content Marketing
- The Network in Your Customer by David Rogers
- [Definitely check out Sheena Iyengar & the Power of Choice.]
Extremes in the marketplace:
Age of Conversation Opportunities
- Fiskateers: Fiskars: 360 Years Young & Innovating with Customers and CMO 2.0 Conversation About The Fiskateers.
- CME group / notes from MProfs Digital Mixer 2009 - Twitter Success Stories
- Sandy Carter Integrates Social Media Into The Marketing Mix
What About Negative Feedback?
- "Sorry Pumpkin" - The Labcorp Saga Continues
- Reference: AdAge “The Right Way to Make Your Social Media Mea Culpa” 5/10/10
- Boeing's Social-Media Lesson
- [Story related to Nestle: 7 social media lessons from Nestle's Facebook missteps and When Social Goes Wrong: Customer Relations Fiascos]
- United Breaks Guitars - also check out Dave Carrol's website
- HBS Cases: United Breaks Guitars
- How Do I? Deal With Negative Comments
- IBM Social Computing guidelines
- [Related story: Why You Need a Social Media Policy]
- How Do I? Start With Social Media Guidelines
- Interview with Kodak's Chief Listening Officer
- [I love this story about how Staples Keeps Customers 'Following' on Twitter because it is paying attention to customers and thinking about the service implications.]
- From AdAge: Listen Up! Six Things You Need to Know About Social Listening. Note references to listening for intelligence, customer service and action.
- Develop a plan to deal with complaining tweets, posts
- Five Tools for Tracking, Measuring, and Evaluating Your Personal Brand Online
- Defeating the Dark Side of Social Networking
- 'I Hate My Room," The Traveler Tweeted. Ka-Boom! An Upgrade!
- Scenario Planning: Kami Huyse's 3 Rs of Crisis Management
- Beware snark attacks - Connie Reece from Every Dot Connects
- Social Media Response Chart, Ohio State Medical Center
- Dealing with Haters, Potty Mouths on your Newsroom Facebook Page
- 6 Reasons To Not Fear Negative Reviews
- [Related story: Setting the record straight on online reviews: An interview with Bazaarvoice's Ian Greenleigh from Mack Collier.]
- Social Media Explorer: 101 Social Media Stats to make your spirits bright and your head spin
- Forrester's Augie Ray: 7 Things Your Organization Must Do Because of Social Media
- 11 Unwritten Laws of Reputation Management
- Blogger Outreach: 8 Tips for Managing Brand Promoters & Detractors
Just Spotted on the subject of Managing Your Social Reputation:
- From Danny Brown, Of Comment Trolls and Flash Mobs
- Troll, Reveal Thyself on why anonymous comments should be banished